Apple apologetic for iOS 8 update and offers work around
The latest iOS update version 8.0.1 has left users with loss of cellular service or ability to use Touch ID after updating to iOS 8.0.1 on iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.
Apple workaround is to reinstall iOS 8 through iTunes by following the instructions provided below. They have stated they are working deligently towards a resolve and are hoping to release the fix in the form of iOS 8.0.2 in the next few days.
- Make sure that you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes.
- Back up your iPhone in iTunes on your Mac or PC. iCloud backups won’t restore to earlier versions, including iOS 8.0.
- Download the file below that corresponds to your device:
- Select the file you just downloaded by doing one of these in iTunes:
- Mac: Press the Option key and click Check for Update.
- Windows: Press the Shift key and click Check for Update.
- Press Update to install iOS 8 on your iPhone.
The Health app won’t work in iOS 8 after these steps. It will be fixed in our upcoming iOS 8.0.2 software update.
For those of us who blindly updated without a second thought, panicked when the cellular service disappeared (few of our Apple faithfuls in our office), I have to admit the silence was golden, albeit just for a while but it was wonderful. Ah well back to normality again!